Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Pictures that Lie

The picture I chose to analyze is the "Jackalope" image, I chose this picture because although it is an imaginary creature it is very well doctored and seems real. The picture came from a postcard of an unknown time period and is currently owned by the Museum of Hoaxes. The image was manipulated by adding antlers on to the rabbit's head probably as a prank. The manipulation is harmful for several reasons: it misinforms the public about a "dangerous" creature that is not real, it may also decrease tourism to Colorado due to fear of Jackalope's.

Jackalope

6 comments:

  1. Nice analysis - I hadn't thought of this:
    it may also decrease tourism to Colorado due to fear of Jackalope's.
    Thanks!
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's from the Museum of Hoaxes! Interesting, I should check that place out some time! That's true that it can mislead others, but once the truth comes out, all fun is lost, too. Good analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job...i never really thought this could be harmful but now i see why

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I didn't know pics like these could negatively impact the tourist industry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. I can't believe someone actually altered a picture to make it the way it is. I didn't think anyone would do something like put antlers on a rabbit's head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness! I too would have never thought that it would decrease tourism in Colorado. Who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete